Hartman Institute scholars have many insights to offer for the High Holidays, Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. In these articles, essays, videos, and educational materials, you will find something of interest, enlightenment and joy.
We have classic articles from David Hartman and Donniel Hartman, as well as practical and challenging articles and videos from many other scholars and faculty.
For those who with the time - and don’t we all wish we had the time - this year we are offering in-depth treatises and study guides you can download, print, and explore even when your computer is turned off.
In "Yom Kippur: Why Doesn’t It Work Outside of the Synagogue?", Shalom Hartman Institute President Donniel Hartman writes about how "Yom Kippur is a synagogue success story" that does not translate into action afterward, and suggests how Yom Kippur must become a catalyst for a new culture amongst the Jewish community, a culture which fosters individual responsibility, reflection, and a commitment to being a tshuva person.
In "The Akeida: A Window Into God’s Humanity And Our Own," Shalom Hartman Institute founder Rabbi Prof. David Hartman writes about how he struggled to understand the "Akeida," the Binding of Isaac, a story read during the High Holidays.
"In attempting to understand the God of the Akeida, and what the Akeida might mean for us today, I have found it helpful to look at God as a parent," he wrote.
Our 5777 Holiday Webinar Series for rabbis begins on September 8, 2016, with a lecture by Micah Goodman. Click here for more information.
ESSAYS BY HARTMAN INSTITUTE SCHOLARS
ESSAYS BY RABBIS FROM HARTMAN PROGRAMS
RESEARCH AND STUDY MATERIALS
(Click on titles to view and download PDF's. Note: Some of these documents are book length and may take several minutes to download)
For your Kindle, tablet, iPad, or smartphone, in-depth content on Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot by Noam Zion, designed in a format specially designed for digital download:
Three Gifts for Yom Kippur
- Rabbi Tanhuma facilitates a Dialogue of Compassion between Heaven and Earth - By Admiel Kosman
- Yom Kippur in the Public Latrine: Pelimo learns his lesson from Satan - By Admiel Kosman
- Ill-Starred Lovers: Marital Estrangement on a loveless, tearful Yom Kippur - By Noam Zion
High Holidays Sources
- Sin, Repentance and Redemption in Rabbinic and Mystical Literature: King David – from Rabbinic Midrash to the Homilies of the Zohar - Rut Kara Kaniel
- Devekut: Intimacy with God in Rabbinic, Philosophical and Mystical Texts - Adam Afterman
- How Can I Pray What I Don’t Believe: A Literary Approach to Prayer - Elie Kaunfer
- Practicing Faith - Melila Hellner-Eshed ^