|The full and complete translation by Hartman Institute Senior Fellow Israel Knohl of the "Gabriel's Revelation" tablet that is so much in the news is now available hereon the website of Shalom Hartman Institute.
Knohl's translation and interpretation are being discussed worldwide by Christians, Jews, archeologists, theologians, historians, and the media.
Click here to see an image of the stone in Time magazine. Click here to see an article in The New York Times, plus another image of the stone with its owner, antiquities collector David Jeselsohn.
English Translation by Israel Knohl
1. [ ] ……..
2. [ ] Lord
3. [ ] . [ ] .
4. [ f]or th[us sa]id the Lo[rd] I have betr[oth]ed you to me,
5. [ ]… ..[
6. and I will talk …. …. [
7. [ ] children of Israel …. [?]…[ ] ...[ ] ….
8. son of David [?] ……[
9. [ ] the word of the Lor[d]
10. [ ] …. ….. ….. ….. you have asked … [?]
11. [?] Lord you have asked me, so said the God of Hosts
12. [ ] .. from my house Israel and I will talk about the greatness of
13. [Thus] said the Lord, God of Israel, now all the nations
14. … enc[amp] on Jerusalem and from it are exi[led]
15. one two three forty Prophets and the elders
16. and the Hasidim. My servant David, ask of Ephraim
17. [that he] place the sign; (this) I ask of you. For thus said
18. the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, my gardens are ripe,
19. My holy thing for Israel. By three days you shall know, for thus said
20. the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel, the evil has been broken
21. before righteousness. Ask me, and I shall tell you, what is this
22. wicked branch, plastered white. You are standing, the angel
23. is supporting you. Do not fear. Blessed is the glory of the Lord God
24. his seat. In a little while, I will shake
25. .. the heavens and the earth. Here is the glory of the Lord God
26. of Hosts, the God of Israel, These are the seven chariots
27. at the gate of Jerusalem and the gates of Judea they will re[st] for
28. my three angels, Michael and all the others, look for
29. your power. So said of the Lord God of Hosts, the God
30. of Israel. One two three four five six
31. [se]ven for my angels….. what is this? He said, the frontlet
32. …. [ ] …. ……. and the second chief
33. watches on.. Jerusalem …… three in the greatness
34. …………….. three [ ] …..
35. [ ] …. . that he saw a man … works [
36. that he …. [ ] that a sign from Jerusalem
37. I on ...[ ] ashes and a sign of exile ..
38. [s]ign of exile ……. God sin … and see
39. …. … [ ] Jerusalem said the Lord
40. ………… ……. That his mist will fill most of the moon
41. [ ] blood that the northerner would become maggoty
42. [ ]abhorrence the diseased spot . in all
43. [ ] . God [
44. [ ] . [?]
Col. 2 (There are no legible words before line 51)
51. with you (or: your nation) ….
52. .. the angels [ ] from ... on [ ] ..
53. … and tomorrow to … they will rest … big .. .. ..
54. [by] three days this is what [I have] said He
55. these are [
56. please see the north[erner] enca[mps] [
57. Seal up the blood of the slaughtered of Jerusalem. For thus said the
Lord of Hos[ts]
58. the God of Israel, So said the Lord of Hosts the God of
59. Israel [
60. … He will have pity .. His mercy are ne[ar]
61. [ ] blessed ? …
62. daughter ? …
64. [ ] …[ ] beloved ?
65. Three holy ones of the world from.... [ ]
66. [ ] shalom he said, in you we trust … [?]
67. Announce him of blood, this is their chariot.
68. Many are those who love the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel
69. Thus said the Lord of Hosts, the God of Israel ….[?]
70. prophets. I sent to my people my three shepherds. I will say (?)
71. that I have seen bless[ing]… …. Go say(?)
72. The place for David the servant of the Lord [ ]...[ ] .. [ ]
73. The heaven and the earth, blessed …… [ ]
74. men. Showing steadfast love to thousands …. steadfast love. [ ]
75. Three shepherds went out for Israel … [ ]…
76. If there is a priest, if there are sons of holy ones ....[ ]
77. Who am I? I am Gabriel …….. [ ]
78. You will rescue them………….. for two [ ] ...[ ]
79. from before of you the three si[g]ns three .. [ ]
80. In three days, live, I Gabriel com[mand] yo[u],
81. prince of the princes, the dung of the rocky crevices [ ]... ..[ ]
82. to the visions (?) … their tongue (?) [ ] … those who love me
83. to me, from the three, the small one that I took, I Gabriel
84. Lord of Hosts Gd of Is[rael] [
85. then you will stand …
86. … /
87. … world ? /
The entire contents of this translation are Copyright 2008 by Israel Knohl. All rights reserved. Fair use (brief quotations) is permitted. For extensive quotes, written permission is required. Contact Israel Knohl only for permission.